Bron-y-Gader centre is a renovation of an old derelict stone built farmhouse, shippon, stables and outbuildings and is basic and rustic in nature. There is parking space for approx. 10/12 cars plus play space within the 1/2 acre site, which is surrounded by farmland and enjoys open views down the River Conwy valley towards Conwy, Llandudno and beyond. There are 2 electric vehicle charging stations for use only by centre occupants.
The 37 beds, mainly in the form of bunk-beds, have mattresses only, so guests need to bring all bedding (usually sleeping bags and pillows).
The beds are divided over 6 rooms as follows (see floor plans below):
- 1 room for 3 people with 3 single beds
- 1 room for 2 people with 1 bunk bed
- 4 rooms for 8 people each with 4 bunk beds
All bedrooms have electric heating.
The centre also includes:
- lounge with a wood burning stove (wood is not provided and should be taken by guests).
- medium sized dining room that seats 12, with infra-red heating.
- large hall (5x12m) with original stone walls, slate floor, vaulted ceiling and wooden beams is used as a dining and socialising room for larger groups or an activity room and has infra-red heating.
- fully equipped stainless steel kitchen includes a catering-sized gas 6 burner hob and oven, an electric grill, a small microwave, a catering sized water boiler and enough equipment, crockery and cutlery to cater for a group filling the centre.
- utility room with 2 large fridges , a small chest freezer and food storage cupboard/shelving.
- large drying room to dry your outdoor gear after a wet day in the hills (or at the surf centre).
- separate ladies and gents toilet & washroom areas plus a shower area (see floor plan)
- outside courtyard area for socialising and BBQs
The centre is hired out for single group use so your group will not be disturbed by others and is self catering.
- all floors have hard surfaces, except room 1 (3 beds) and room 4 (1 bunk) which have carpet tiles.
- Accessibility: the centre is effectively on 3 levels with stairs between levels. Being an old stone property on a sloping site it is not practical to have ramps or lifts between levels.
- As the centre is surrounded by fields of sheep and/or cattle, only well behaved dogs are allowed and prior permission must be agreed by email.
- there is no television licence for the centre. It is unlawful to watch live TV on the site and we provide no equipment to do so.
- no WiFi
- mobile phone signal is variable (weak inside the stone building, better outside)
- to keep our charges as low as possible, for the benefit of groups from young people's organisations in particular, we do not employ staff to clean the centre after each group. We expect all users to leave the centre at least as clean and tidy as when they arrived.
NOTE: The floor plans shown below are not to scale. Click for a larger image